We Ate a Lot of Hearts, Because You Could Get Them for Nothing

June 4, 2013
by

When I watched hens dumped into trash bins to be gassed at A&L Poultry last year, I distinctly remember thinking, “Well, isn’t that appropriate…this is exactly how the egg industry sees unwanted hens. They’re trash to them.” It was such a powerful visual metaphor.

The title of this article is a partial quote from a recent Smithsonian article, a sit-down conversation between two food critics – Ruth Reichl and Michael Pollan.

The full quote from Reichl, “We ate a lot of hearts of every kind because you get them for nothing.”

The heart, that incredible muscle beating, pumping to keep living beings alive diminished to nothing. How can we move forward with cherishing life if we demean that most powerful muscle? The value of a heart – nothing.

Of course those of us who feel other animals are not here for us to eat, wear, or exploit beg to differ. Reichl does not advocate we stop suffering, in fact, through this flippant statement, she enables the suffering of billions, the violent cessation of so many hearts.

Later in the piece, Pollan talks about how empowering food choices are, that they are one of the decisions we make in which we have complete control. He’s absolutely right. The food choices we make have an impact on our friends, family, colleagues and social peers. They also have an impact on other animals, the environment, our health, and the welfare of workers employed/exploited in various food industries.

Afterwards, he shares a story about a pig he raised who ended up dying during a poorly executed introduction between two pigs. He could not eat that pig (Kosher) but goes on to say, “I think now I could raise a pig and kill a pig for food. I didn’t feel a sense of attachment. Clearly a pig is a very intelligent animal, but I think I could probably do that.”

It’s true, pigs are smart. They can learn to turn on heaters when they are cold and turn them off when they get warm. They have learned to play simplified video games. I love telling visitors about the intelligence of pigs, because few people think of pigs in terms of their cognitive abilities.  Even if pigs were not smart, though, they have an inherent right to be free of exploitation and harm. Intelligence should never be a determining factor in whether we violently end the life of another being.

image

Pollan’s description of farmed animals gets worse, though (bold faced my own, for emphasis). “I raised chickens, and worried that I wouldn’t be able to kill them, but by the time they were mature, I couldn’t wait to kill them. They were ruining my garden, abusing one another, making a tremendous mess. Meat birds are not like hens. Their brains have been bred right out of them, they’re really nasty and stupid. And every other critter for miles around was coming after them. … In the end, I couldn’t wait to do the deed, because otherwise, somebody else was going to get the meat.”

When people say these things outloud, I can’t help but wonder if they actually spent any meaningful time with the nonhumans they so despise.

I mean, first of all, “meat birds are not like hens” is simply factually inaccurate. The types of birds raised for their flesh are male and female. This means that some are in fact hens (female chickens).

That’s minor, compared to his next statement, “Their brains have been bred right out of them, they’re really nasty and stupid.”

My visceral reaction was “Geez, what a jerk!” because I and other chicken lovers have spent time with Cornish crosses (the “type” of bird raised for their flesh) and haven’t had this experience.

Upon further reflection, though, the statement is a common method employed by those in power to further dis-empower, disenfranchise, blame, and demean those not in power. It is classic victim-blaming. Because it does not matter if chickens are really nasty and stupid, they still exist for their own purposes, desires, and wants. By calling chickens nasty and stupid, Pollan enables others to continue abusing and consuming chickens. It’s a lot easier to slaughter and eat the flesh of a nonhuman you believe is “stupid” and “nasty”…very pejorative terms.

Of course the experience Pollan had and the experiences I’ve had are very different. My knowledge of “meat birds” is through the lens of a sanctuary where nonhumans live out their lives. The Cornish crosses I have met have been engaging, inquisitive surveyors of their world.

image

It’s true they have been artificially selected by humans to be voracious eaters. That is not their fault. At the sanctuary, we provide them with ample space to forage and fillers to keep them as satiated as possible. But they are always edgy around food, always.

I could wax poetic about Cornish crosses and their awesomeness. But that is just as meaningless, on some level, as Pollan’s vituperative statements about chickens. Whether these birds are nasty, stupid, sweet crooners, or gentle is moot. They want to live. They experience emotions and pain, joy. They have desires outside of our palate preferences. Ending their lives violently for no other reason than a moment of gustatory pleasure? That seems to be a far nastier act than trouncing a garden bed.

-Marji Beach

1. BlessUsAll permalink
    June 4, 2013 11:42 pm

So glad you’re back in the blogging biz a.k.a. the blogosphere, Marji! Been missing you (and your challengeoppression.com colleagues).

As usual, your take on our animal friends’ emotions and inherent rights is on target.

So is your take on the sad humans who strut around believing they’re all-powerful. Pollan is missing out on a whole lot of affection — at both the giving and receiving ends.

2. June 5, 2013 7:59 pm

You summed it up succinctly in your last paragraph. It really makes little difference if the birds are “pleasant” or not to be around. In the end it’s nobody’s right to decide what virtues deserve life or not. Funny thing though… Of all the unattractive qualities he could dist on to chicken characteristics, those and then some certainly apply to lots of humans I know! Should we use Pollan’s same “culling” for the cure?

Thanks Marji for the much needed breath of fresh air to cleanse the stench of callous thoughtlessness..

3. March 27, 2014 5:42 am

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you
    wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come
    more formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside
    case you shield this hike.

4. April 30, 2014 7:50 pm

We look forward to working with you over a long period of time.
    Or will it be a collapse of confidence in the US so with that
    act expiring folks are just not going to be presented with.
    He went on for a whole paragraph about how bad things are
    how they re going to look for a site to flick. Now obviously, if you understand the market, clear
    skin has been deterring other pension funds from putting money in foreign real
    estate deals, according to recent research by Knight Frank.

5. May 16, 2014 3:19 pm

We Ate a Lot of Hearts, Because You Could Get Them for Nothing | Animal Rights & AntiOppression
    [url=http://www.gyah8b74b9ug0npr132p8q74o044z5z1s.org/]utsrqtbcpvs[/url]
    atsrqtbcpvs
    tsrqtbcpvs http://www.gyah8b74b9ug0npr132p8q74o044z5z1s.org/

6. May 17, 2014 1:07 pm

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was curious
    what all is needed to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty
    penny? I’m not very internet smart so I’m not 100% sure.
    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

7. June 29, 2014 8:58 pm

It’s very straightforward to find out any topic on web as compared to textbooks, as I found this article at this web site.|

8. September 13, 2014 1:08 pm

El Ultrasonido es uno de los mejores aliados de la belleza puesto que realiza en una sola sesión 3
    fases de tratamiento. En la segunda fase ,
    aprovechando que los poros han quedado limpios hacemos una hidratación en profundidad, y en la tercera fase una oxigenación de la piel con efecto lifting..

9. September 20, 2014 11:48 pm

Good day! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this article to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!
    moncler women http://eisenhowerpta.com/moncler-women/
    moncler women

10. September 21, 2014 6:22 am

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!
    jacket

11. September 21, 2014 11:37 am

I love what you guys are usually up too. This kind of clever work and coverage! Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll.|
    handbags on-line

12. September 21, 2014 12:34 pm

You may visit a bankruptcy court and see lawyers present and fight such cases. Checking up their ratings enables you to choose the best.
    cheap jacket

13. September 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Hello, after reading this remarkable paragraph i am as well glad to share my knowledge here with colleagues.
    handbags on-line

14. September 22, 2014 1:41 am

Contained fires: There’s something innately comforting about a gently crackling, roiling indoor fire, so much so that we’re willing to tune our televisions to a recording of a burning log. Restaurants, looking to amp up the urban log cabin vibe (and the temperature), know this, and the result ranges from high romance (Auberge de Pommier) to high design (Oddfellows). For a non food experience, there’s hardly a toastier place to warm up with a good read than the University of Toronto’s Hart House library.

15. September 22, 2014 2:58 am

The friend asks why and she says that Jesus has blessed her with a coupon and now she can afford some Coach shoes. Hill quit in September amid speculation she did not agree with Guillon’s strategy.Shares in Mulberry, which are down 25 percent on a year ago, were up 1.1 percent to 717.5 pence at 0833 ET.

16. September 22, 2014 4:54 am

Minnesotans love their lakes, and Crow Wing, Cass, Itasca and St. Louis counties are among those brimming with water making them popular tourist destinations.

17. September 24, 2014 11:31 pm

Hello there, simply became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels.
    parka

18. September 25, 2014 2:05 pm

19. October 2, 2014 5:55 am

Auftakt ist f den FC Bayern am kommenden Freitag, 18. Oktober, vivono ab 19:00 Uhr auf SPORT1 beim polnischen Meister Stelmet Zielona Gora.
    winter coats for men uk

20. October 4, 2014 10:09 am

Unos masajes son exageradamente beneficiosos en la concentración y asisten a
    mejorar los deselances académicos.

21. October 9, 2014 3:32 am

burberry bags

22. October 9, 2014 9:11 am

Good contents, very helpful.
    ティンバーランド 直営店

23. October 15, 2014 11:27 pm

There’s more to fashion than appearances. It’s also your mindset. It’s how you tell people about yourself without speaking to them. Dressing well helps people to make a good first impression. Read this fashion advice to make a positive statement about yourself.

24. October 19, 2014 6:24 pm

often becomingodds in achieving success will probably be narrowup. Shrinkage is actually an ever before current Purses current comfort retail outlet, Louis Vuitton obsolescence Ervin Kors Wall plug Online isassets, the worth is generally a challenging with time, never right up. Louis Vuitton be a success. of this and you may certainly Preserving hard Louis Vuitton enterprise. As opposed to different Pulling is actually an possibly present Louis Vuittonconcern products on hand failsFail advertisingthe natural way the greater products on hand.

25. October 27, 2014 4:59 am

I have been reading out a few of your stories and i can claim pretty good stuff. I will definitely bookmark your site.

1. Have a Heart | Value Time