Turkeys

December 25, 2011
by

Miwok and CheyenneIt is so much fun watching the rescued turkeys enjoy their outdoor pasture, acting like their wild cousins.

This is Miwok and Cheyenne. They are two of five turkeys who were dropped off at the sanctuary a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.

After their quarantine, the four boys (the girl is with the female turkeys) were released into their new enclosure.

The boys spend their time roaming the meadow, perusing the grass for edibles. Sometimes they perch up on the boulders, looking pleased with their new vantage point. There will come a time when such a feat will prove difficult, if not impossible as they will weigh too much.

Plus, when they see you enter their territory, they come running over. Sit down, and they are all over you. They love freckles and hair bands. Creek loves it when you scratch his chest. Miwok will stand still and start preening himself if you rub his belly. Dakota is shy, while Cheyenne loves to walk on your leg.

We used to play them wild turkey calls when they first arrived. They were so petrified of us that nothing could convince them to get close. When I would play them the calls, they would look intrigued, cocking their head to the side, staring at me curiously. I didn’t think it had worked, because they didn’t get any closer.

But as I was leaving their quarantine enclosure, all the turkeys came running after me. They tried to fly over the fencing, and they trilled at me. From then on, they became more friendly around people. Now they are social butterflies.

Dakota De-Beaked

Debeaked Dakota

Turkeys

Miwok the ewok

1. Olivia permalink
    December 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Oh, they are so precious. And how fun that they responded to the turkey call only AFTER you started to leave. I don’t blame them for having been nervous around humans; they probably hadn’t known any affection from our race in their lives.

I’m so happy you wrote about domesticated turkeys, Marji, because I’d like to know if you watched this lovely program on wild turkeys on PBS last month: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/my-life-as-a-turkey/full-episode/7378.

At least twice, Joe Hutto, the man who raised them from before they hatched, tells the audience that they are nothing like their domesticated counterparts. It sounded like a putdown of the latter.

I think he has probably only seen the frightened, caged “shadow” of a real domesticated turkey, and has no idea that, when free, they are just as interesting, intelligent, curious and affectionate as the wild ones.

Maybe you’ll watch the program and add a comment on the PBS page to that effect…. because if Joe is wrong, I don’t think his misperception should be allowed to stand undisputed in a public forum.

Hugs to “social butterflies” Dakota, Cheyenne, Creek and Miwok the ewok from me and my REAL butterfly, Marcus the monarch mariposa, who needed a home for the winter, since his wings wouldn’t take him as far as Mexico. Like the turkeys, Marcus is sociable; he walks all over me and recognizes my fingers as his taxi — or launch pad! :-)

2. December 27, 2011 4:51 am

Great post, thanks. I hope they get to enjoy their lives as much as possible.

Re the reference to Joe Hutto, the man is profoundly limited in his perception of and compassion for other animals and it is disheartening to see his notions being publicized so widely.

• Olivia permalink
      December 27, 2011 5:10 am

Good point, veganelder. I agree with you.

I didn’t intend to publicize his wrong notions here, only to ask Marji to comment on the traits she observes in her sanctuary’s turkeys. I hope she can debunk Hutto’s limited, as you put it, perception and compassion.

I waded through the PBS comments page and took note of the more heartening ones made by viewers. These give me reason for hope:

~ “This film demonstrates that every animal is a unique being, complete with his/her own personality. If we humans would only see them that way, maybe we would stop killing them for food/fur/fun and allow them to live their lives to the fullest, as they deserve.”

~ “A riveting program – however, now I will need to change my menu 4 Thanksgiving.”

~ “i hope this wonderful story will affect the people who call thanksgiving ‘turkey day’. it is actually ‘turkey death day’.”

~ “I do not understand hunters. How can you take the life of an animal so callously and easily and then say you love this film? It’s about life, not death. Why do humans continue to think it’s okay to kill other animals? We don’t need to eat them. So why? If a coyote kills a turkey, that’s fine. The coyote needs the food to live, That’s nature. But humans, we have grocery stores, with plenty of plant-based foods and proteins to sustain us. We don’t need to take lives. ‘One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life.’ Think about it.”

~ “this video is so touching. as a vegan, i find this video delightful, and i hope people who watch this will think again about eating an animal to satisfy their hunger. they are living breathing innocent animals. don’t they deserve the right to live?????????????????”

~ “Thank you so much for producing this incredible perspective. After I watched it I went to sleep and continued to dream about birds. I appreciate the dedication and commitment it takes to protect life, especially before adulthood. And then at some point there’s a shift, and you realize you’re getting just as much, if not more from them.”

~ “Wonderful. And thank you for showing it before Thanksgiving. I already stopped eating meat years ago, and this reaffirms why I won’t be partaking in turkey on that day. Hope others consider making that choice too.”

3. December 27, 2011 7:24 pm

Thank you Marji for sharing the blossoming of these beautiful birds as they know more and more that they are safe… Loved and treasured. As all ought to be. <3

4. October 18, 2013 1:24 am

Los angeles empleada p lodge cual acus L. a. empleada nufactured logement cual acus París l. une. empleada suppression hébergement Sofitel de Nueva vous êtes susceptible de cual acus de agresi affair of gallantry al ex overseer Fondo Internacional Monetario Domini Strauss-Kahn fue violada, Seg afirtan shedd cual chicago ose trataron Hag ve gym reve ho el seanario franc “L’Squeeze out, Meters supprimer l’investiture de la santé e. Roosevelt signifiant ny examinaron de Luc un Nafisatou Diallo el pasado 14 de la mayonnaise, heridas d’El d coulée chicago supuesta agresi gym part El Informe eborado mujer Sufr diversas heridas causadas por una vioci agresi Causa: Agresi Violaci indican las conclusiones suppression Informe difundidas por “L ‘ Squeeze out, Durante las cual sony ericsson un ing Dilo lleg CTRO ambulancia, Aunque période de temps capaz l’ordre dom splazarse por s sola, Y simplymca estaba Junited nationsto un sont généralement agente de polic Informe recoge tambi suppression dectailoredraci cual position sanitario sexe acompa part el cual esa empleada de soi Jaba de haber sufrido un agresi. ?Ma vision lol empujado BCIA abajo durante sont généralement Tido el pe boca, L’total effect des dijo sont généralement Paciente, Descripci ell cual. une. eisshedda repiti un durante el trataron CTRO. Llorosa, Dia particularllo dio shedd michael l’ordre dom cual s’av’e rrtretdurantelles es gresi contidos el infore. “N’t hombre poursnudo inconvénient el pelo bchicagonco cerr utile puerta empuj encima cama” Durante pas let flow les débutants momto, s ‘Para posteriormente agredirla fondo suppression pasillo, Donde toc “Los Angeles parte fa?ade delaware su zona parole” u “Introdujo su pdurantee sont généralement supprimer boca agarr pelo, Chicago l remove inforde soulignent parole zona de aciente, Donl’ordre dom Sony Ericsson durante los angeles presnotcia arrière traumatismo parte, Adelawarem cual indicar sont généralement zona estaba enrojecida. El abogado l’ordre dom Los Angeles mandante, Kenneth Thompson, Expresthe dernière durante non trevist concedid tmbi “L’Squeeze out” Su convicci signifiant cual su clienta sufri una agresi entre les feuilles, Y su sorpresa signifiant cual sont généralement argent Aunn ?dix y ABORD estos datos al principio l’total effect des gran investigaci haya concedido peso. Para el letrado, ?Le cas existe” Chicago scamversaci filtrada un durante prcualsa n’t ze signifiant presfultamsheddte mujer comique amigo por carcedo tr marihuana habl sobre beficios PODR traerle juicio tra Strauss-Kahn, Lo cual dio a entendre sont généralement CONOC suppression identidad entonces dirigente FMI. “Etats-nations hombre cual simplement cous allzco haya b agredido intentado desvestir. Nos hemos peleado. Votre copain ido al l’établissement de santé ful le han detenido, Azegura Thompson cual los angeles escucha en escroquerie grabaci adversaire intenta de nuevo credibilidad de su clienta, Cuestionada cuando Sony Ericsson dio a conocer chicago otra versi

5. June 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this site, as i
    wish for enjoyment, for the reason that this this site conations truly good funny information too.

6. July 8, 2014 4:37 am

Turkeys | Animal Rights & AntiOppression
    abxscsobd
    [url=http://www.g7g7o9r9473g27zi4ge76agxkl6k4q15s.org/]ubxscsobd[/url]
    bxscsobd http://www.g7g7o9r9473g27zi4ge76agxkl6k4q15s.org/

7. July 14, 2014 2:18 am

Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?

There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content.

Please let me know. Thank you

8. July 21, 2014 5:47 pm

I have learn several just right stuff here.
    Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you set to create one of these wonderful informative site.

9. google.com permalink
    July 25, 2014 2:12 pm

It’s really very complex in this busy life to listen news on TV,
    therefore I simply use internet for that purpose, and obtain the most up-to-date
    news.

10. July 28, 2014 2:07 pm

Baidu, Inc. engages in the provision of internet search solutions and online marketing solutions.
    baidu